10 years ago this year I met my husband. 10 years seems like a lifetime ago when I say it but living it has flown by in the blink of an eye. 10 years filled with road trips, movie nights and dancing in the kitchen. It’s been years filled with laughter as well as tears. Today I celebrate 6 years of marriage. We got married, not on a beautiful beach as we had planned, but under a gazebo protecting us from the rain that passed over right before I walked down the aisle. It was a sign of how our life was going to be. Things don’t always work out exactly as we plan but they always work out, sometimes for the better.
Today, in celebration of 6 years of marriage I let you in on 6 reasons I keep him around 😉
1) He loves to cook: Ok so I know in today’s day many men cook. This isn’t 1950. But he LOVES to cook. He will actually offer to cook more often than not.To watch the him at the stove, his face reflecting the joy of what he’s doing a mix of passion and concentration is a sight to be seen. Cooking is his art. He loves to create and I’m happy to sit back and let him take the reins. More importantly he’s a wonderful cook. He’s concerned with the nutrition of our family yet never fails to put out these wonderful meals.
2) He’s an excellent foot rubber: When I say an excellent foot rubber I mean the best of the best. We spend many an evening sitting on opposite ends of the couch, watching movies, reading, writing or just chatting and you are sure to find my feet in his lap on the receiving end of a nice little massage. I love it. Obviously. For so many reasons. Not only because it feels ridiculously wonderful, but also because it makes me feel safe, and loved and attached to him alone. There is something so personal about having your feet rubbed and no one does it better! Sorry you’ll never know because he’s my foot rubber not to be shared!
3) He is a man’s man: I am aware that I may sound very old-fashioned in this one and I actually do consider myself somewhat of a feminist. There are, however, times when I want the rugged toughness that is my husband. He doesn’t take longer than me to get ready in the morning. He insists on shoveling the driveway. He will take care of bugs. When someone broke into our garage he didn’t think twice about racing out of the house to check it out (although in hindsight that probably wasn’t the safest reaction). He stands up to the bullying soccer Dad. He will back me up when needed and isn’t afraid of conflict. I am completely capable of taking care of all of these things on my own and have done so for years and years. I may not NEED him to do those things but it is nice to have someone who is not only willing but wants to take on these responsibilities. He’s still man enough to know that I am better at fixing the furnace and proudly stands watch while I do. I appreciate and love the fact that he wants to take care of me and our family.
4) He takes me to the ballet: Ballet, musicals, Twilight…he has no qualms about enjoying the arts with me (ok ok Twilight may not be considered an art but he did watch one of them in the theatre with me and that begs a shout out!). Not long after we first started dating he bought me tickets to The National Ballet’s performance of Cinderella. I don’t think it was his cup of tea but he took me nonetheless and was open-minded enough to enjoy it. On the way home he commented on how he had a whole new appreciation for the ballet after learning what it was all about. He has sat holding my hand through plays and musicals, watching me out of the corner of his eye, smiling when a performance brings me to tears. He loves it because I do. He appreciates the artistic talent involved, the passion, the beauty. There’s nothing better than a boxer who enjoys the ballet.
5) He is a wonderful father: Watching Mr. C with our kids opens my heart to him in a way that I never thought possible. He is kind and he is patient. He is firm yet he is gentle. He has never shied away from any parenting duty. He has changed the dirtiest of diapers and has caught vomit in his hands. He has rocked a feverish baby all night long and has tickled backs during movie night. When I hear him giggling with the kids during one of their many wrestling matches my heart swells. You can read some more about their playtime here: http://wp.me/p1oMIA-33
There are aspects of parenting that he’s just better at than me. I sit back sometimes and watch him in awe of the impact he is having as a father on my children. I know, in my heart, that I couldn’t have dreamed up a better daddy for my kids.
6) He is my best friend: Sounds corny right? He is literally my best friend. We have fun together. We laugh until we can’t breathe. We joke. We play. Sometimes we are like two kids. I would not want anything other. I can not be with someone who doesn’t have a sense of humour or who takes life too seriously. I want someone who can giggle with me about anything and everything, who can dance in the kitchen and laugh at themselves and I have found that. Road trips, parties or quiet evenings in playing scrabble we have the best time together regardless of what we are doing. We share secrets and he comes first (well ok maybe that’s a tie between two little people in our lives) We are learning about life together. We have endured some very painful moments together and I don’t think I would have gotten through them without him. Life isn’t always a bed of roses. The key to how successful you are is how you handle those tough times. The easy times are well easy. WE have met our share of adversity and we get through it together. I would not want to face life with anyone else. He was made for me.
I can’t possibly sum up why I am so thankful to have Mr. C. in my life in 6 short comments, but these 6 are just some of the things about him and us and our life together that I love. These are 6 things I am celebrating today, 6 years after I promised him my life. We are tied together he and I. Our hearts are tied together by joy and by pain. We have learned to hold each other up when the other needs someone to lean on. We have learned to back each other up and always have each other’s back. We have learned how to be a team. I know, in my heart, that as long as we keep working together like a team it’s going to be us against the world and no one can stop us.
Happy Anniversary my Mr. C. We have a lifetime of memories to create and lessons to learn together and I look forward to each and every moment shared with you.